Sunday, June 25, 2006

Free-market kidneys

What would happen if one would put out a kidney to sell on the free market? How much money would you take for it? An article in the LA Times asks the exact same questions. It raised some interesting questions for me.

Now, I am a steadfast libertarian, and I believe in the principle of self-ownership, including my own property. One property I have a right to more than anything else is my body, and, my kidney is a part of my body. If I want to sell my kidney to the free market, I have no reason why I shouldn't.

This article explains the benefit of selling one's own kidney. Now, I personally choose to keep my kidneys to myself. But, that's my opinion, and I have a right to my opinion. Others see it differently than me. Should my belief impose upon others? Absolutely not! I have a right to do with my body, and each individual has a right to do with one's body, but I have no right to impose upon others, and vise versa.

In this article, some people want to act like me. Others only want to give kidneys to family and/or friends. While others will give kidneys to a perfect stranger. That is their individual choice. Now, if someone I love or I care about started on a dialysis machine, and my kidney is a perfect fit, I probably would give it to him/her; the question is how much do I care for this person.

But society frowns on donating a kidney to a stranger, especially if you are healthy. Doctors don't want to give kidneys without a good reason first. Family and friends frown on it, too. But, there is one important fact: my kidneys are not the doctors, family, nor friends. My kidneys are mine alone, and I alone make the decision on what to do with my kidneys.

The article said, "The most obvious way to increase the supply of any scarce [is] paying more for it", and they are exactly right. I would be motivated to sell my kidney than to give it. And the recipient would love to buy a kidney than to be hooked up three times a week or more to a dialysis machine. But federal law makes transferring kidneys for money illegal, so the buyer and buyee can't buy. What a waste.

Like I said it before, I believe in individual liberty and personal responsibility. You can be urged to take responsibility with you own decisions. But, if you are willing to give or sell your kidney, and that recipient wants to receive or buy, and the money (if applicable) is mutual, the government should get out of the way.

4 Comments:

At 11:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Are you in debt? Do you need to raise cash for health care costs or paying debts or in a state of financial breakdown? Wait! Consider selling your kidney as an Option. If you wish to sell your kidney today. Message us immediately.A kidney is bought for a maximum amount of $500,000.00US Dollars.The National foundation is currently buying healthy kidney.My name is Dr Jerry Marz, am a Nephrologist in the kidney National hospital.Our Hospital is specialized in Kidney Surgery and we also deal with buying and transplantation of kidneys with a living an corresponding donor. We are located in Indian, Canada, UK,Turkey, USA, Malaysia, South Africa etc. If you are interested in selling or buying kidney’s please don’t hesitate to contact us via Email : apollohospital741@gmail.com
Need Geniune Donors
Waiting for your responds….
Best Regards….
Dr Jerry Marz..
Contact ;+918015861758

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

If you want to sell your kidney for the sum of $500000 contact our surgical doctor now as soon as possible ,Dr Alhaji Terry apollohospital07@gmail.com +917507536387

 
At 3:16 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

We are In need of a local willing and able KIDNEY DONOR for kidney patients, donors from USA,Batangas, Zambales, Malaysia, Turkey,Germany, Spain or any country in the world are welcome . Donors who are B+ or O+ are welcome.
If you are interested in donating your kidney, reply me back to my e-mail with the following information below
YOUR FULL NAME:
ADDRESS (just the city/province)
AGE:
SEX:
BLOOD TYPE:
MOBILE NUMBER:
Thanks remain Bless – DR. williams micheal email:
ofureclinickidneyfoundation@gmail.com or whatsapp:+1
+1(518)953 9485 or +2349031367320

 
At 2:04 AM, Blogger Dr Nico Scott said...

Do you wish to sell your kidney in exchange of money? email: apollohospitalkidneydep@gmail.com
Then contact today to get a reliable and good transaction for good money.
Contact via below information Immediately
email: apollohospitalkidneydep@gmail.com
India WhatsApp number: +918122208392
Contact us now

 

Post a Comment

<< Home