Friday, May 05, 2006

Rush Limbaugh

In the latter part of 2003, The National Enquirer published an article about his housekeeper getting OxyConin, a pain-killer described as "hillbilly heroin", for the conservative radio talk-show host Rush Limbaugh. After the Enquirer was published, law-enforcement officials were investing Limbaugh on over-lapping prescriptions of the drug, commonly referred to as "doctor shopping", and as such, Limbaugh checked himself into rehab.

But, after rehab, instead of admitting that drugs are medical problems and not criminal, Limbaugh lashed out at investigators who served warrants for shopping physicians willing to prescribe drugs, like before. There was no mention of being remorseful about what he said earlier. Earlier, in 1995, Limbaugh said about drugs, "There's nothing good about drug use. We know it. It destroys individuals. It destroys families. It destroys societies.... And so if people are violating the law by doing drugs, they ought to be accused and they ought to be convicted and they ought to be sent up." After spending 30 days in rehab, not a peep out of him on what he thinks about drugs.

And in 2006, Limbaugh is at it again, although law officials let him off with a probation. And now, Representative Patrick Kennedy is doing what Limbaugh did in 2003. Now, conservatives will say that it is okay with releasing Limbaugh, but put Kennedy in the slammer. But liberals will offer that let's hold off with Kennedy, but throw Limbaugh in the brig. This is just the same old mantra, but the opposite targets.

As a pure unyielding libertarian, I believe in principles, and these principles will apply to conservatives, liberals, libertarians, authoritarians, Congressmen, radio talk-show hosts...everybody. The principles that I believe are individual liberty, personal responsibility, and limited government, and every issue that is raised, my answer is one or more of these 3 principles. On drugs, I believe in individual liberty; I believe in the title description on my blog (see above). As such, I believe that victimless crimes in general violate no one, so victimless crime is not a crime (the definition of a "crime" is it violates the rights of a "victim"; ergo, if there is no victim, there is no crime). Injecting drugs is a victimless crime. Limbaugh hurt no one (but Limbaugh) when he injected drugs. Kennedy hurt no one (besides Kennedy) when he injected drugs. I know, Kennedy drove a car after taking drugs, and that act violated other driver's and passenger's rights, but that is another story altogether. However, just taking drugs doesn't. You may disagree with me, but that's what I believe. I seldom use drugs (I don't use hard drugs at all; the hardest drug I use is legal), but like I said, I believe in my principles.

I wish both Limbaugh and Kennedy will finally realize that drug use will hurt no one but themselves, and the taxpayers' money will be wasted in the process. If they want some honest help, they should apply to a private rehab, like Limbaugh in 2003 and Kennedy today. But, I realize both, especially Limbaugh, will do what they have been doing before, and the futile drug war will continue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home